Welcome to another edition of Bridal B.S.!!!
When planning your wedding, there are literally MILLIONS of articles and blogs and magazines that will pull you in 100 different directions. What makes Bridal BS your GO-TO blog, is it really pertains to your wedding at The Balcony Ballroom. We have been here for over 40 years, so we know what works, and we can tell you what doesn't;)
EVERYTHING about Jolie and Kirk's wedding....WORKED!!! Jolie was an extremely organized bride, as well as being opinionated. Which is fantastic!! She really knew what she wanted and what she wasn't interested in at all. But she was ALWAYS quick to ask for our opinions as well....it's nice to have 40 years of experience at your fingertips. All of her personal touches really made it an event to remember for her and all of her guests. Which leads me to my topic:
When making your event spectacular, you will most definitely want to customize it. But the question is: to DIY or not to DIY?? Here are a few of our thoughts on DIY-ing
- Photography: You can not rely on your friends and family to take these timeless moments with their iPhones. You also can NOT take the time to pose every shot yourself or approve them as it's happening. Wedding photographers can be a big part of your wedding budget, but hiring a professional will be PRICELESS. It's the only way to go. If your cousin is pestering you about hiring her, tell her you would rather her enjoy the event as a guest...and not as a hired hand;) NOTE FROM JAY: he recommends using one of those new wedding apps to supplement the professionals work with fun, candid shots from your relatives. Also, some of those apps allow you to LIVE STREAM those photos during your event directly to our 20 foot screen!! (if you wish;)
Cake: Under no circumstance should you ever try to make your own wedding cake. I know what you are thinking, but NO. "But my mother is a professional baker!!"....no. When the day finally arrives after all of the meticulous planning, the LAST thing you should be worried about is if your mom finished your wedding cake, whilst getting hair done....and nails done....and make-up. This is 100% a no! Of course it would be less expensive to crack a few eggs in a mix, but in the end, the quality would be lacking. Not to mention you have to decorate AND transport it here!!! This is not something that you or your immediate family should be doing the day of your wedding. New Orleans is PACKED with amazing bakeries....from every price point. If you are having trouble finding something you love, give us a call and we can point you in the right direction.
- Catering: Fortunately, you have decided to have your reception here....so we have this covered!
- Make-up & Hair: There are several sites that tell you to do your own face and locks for your big day to save some cash......I COMPLETELY DISAGREE. You will be in every picture, from every angle, at every moment. And since you've hired a professional photographer, you will have these amazing memories forever...so you want to make sure that you look great!! A professional will help you look beautiful without looking too made-up. And a stylist will help get those out-of-control locks to stay in place until the wee hours of the night. If you are concerned about spending too much money, skip the pricey favors...at the end of the day, your guests will take home a piece of your happiness;)
- Favors: The best favors, to me are something personal. If you make the best brownies, we want to see those brownies. Pralines are a New Orleans staple. Making them with your bridesmaids in the beginning of the week could be fun and a real money saver.
- Guest "book": Not every couple strolls through here with a standard guest book these days. We've seen stones and letters and puzzles....all to get the guests to sign their names and make a lasting memory. So a DIY guest book could not only save some dough, but it could be the start of a new craze!! What will your guests be signing??
- Bridal Flowers: At The BB, we have your centerpieces covered. They are beautiful, and will fool the toughest critic in the room....even if they touch them!! But you still need to bring the bouquets. IF your budget is super tight, artificial flowers nowadays are inexpensive without looking cheap. And even if they don't have a great feel, only your bridesmaids will know!
- Second Line Umbrellas: Most every couple will have umbrellas in New Orleans at their wedding....it makes one of the best props for a great picture!! Making them can be a really fun project. Just MAKE SURE that everything is VERY secure....you will be dancing and hopping and jumping and shakin-a-tail feather while you carry them. I mean, you don't want to have your feathers fly off!!
We know that money can be tight leading up to this major event, but keep in mind you have chosen wisely!! The Balcony Ballroom is throwing the most spectacular event for your big day, without all the extra costs. So if "DIY-anything" gets your head spinning, a professional is right around the corner to help you out!!
xoVanessa (featuring Jay;)